Friday, October 12, 2007

Welcome

I got this email and had to post it


One of my sons serves in the military. He is still stateside,here in California. He called me yesterday to let me know how warm andwelcoming people were to him, and his troops, everywhere he goes,tellingme how people shake their hands, and thank them for being willing toserve, and fight,for not only our own freedoms but so that others mayhave them also. But he also told me about an incident in the grocery store hestopped at yesterday, on his way home from the base. He said that aheadof several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a burkha. He said when she got to the cashier she loudly remarked aboutthe U.S. flag lapel pin the cashier wore on her smock. The cashier reached up andtouched the pin, and said proudly," Yes, I always wear it and probablyalways will." The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she wasgoing to stop bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi. A gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting hisarm around my son's shoulders, and nodding towards my son, said in acalm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman: "Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this youngman have fought and died so that YOU could stand here, in MY country andaccuse a check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my beliefthat if you had been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we wouldn'tneed to be there today. But, hey, if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly andclearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way back to Iraq soyou can straighten out the mess in YOUR country that you are obviouslyhere in MY country to avoid." Everyone within hearing distance cheered!

No comments: